In 2017, U.S. authorities had to warn Florida residents that it was dangerous to shoot a hurricane with a firearm.
In 2018, it was necessary to avoid consuming Tide Pod laundry soap capsules.
And in 2019?
It seems that some charlatans are promoting the Miracle Mineral Solution, a miracle mineral solution that could cure autism, cancer, HIV and other conditions and diseases.
MMS is a solution based on chlorine dioxide, a powerful disinfectant and bleach:
“Miracle Mineral Supplement, often referred to as Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, MMS or the CD protocol, is chlorine dioxide, an industrial bleach. It is made by mixing sodium chlorite solution with an acid (such as the juices of citrus fruits). This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a toxic chemical that in “high oral doses” can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low blood pressure due to dehydration.”
This “miracle” product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and its side effects could be fatal, according to a press release issued by the government agency on Monday.
“Ingesting these products is equivalent to drinking bleach. Consumers should avoid this type of product at all costs and especially avoid giving it to children,” FDA Director Ned Sharpless said.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time the U.S. government has had to address this type of problem. In 2010, the same warning was issued for the same product.
Poison control centers in the United States have treated more than 16,000 MMS-related cases in the past five years.
Unfortunately, some sellers of unproven treatments like this, are able to avoid government oversight by selling their products as non-medical products, such as a water purifier in the case of Miracle Mineral Solution.
However, if at any point they cross the line and advertise these products as medical treatments, the FDA can step in.
The solution was popularized in the late 1990s by a former Scientologist who founded his own welfare-based church.
A reminder for your health – do not drink disinfectants. Thank you!